#purrs4peace Hello everyone, we’re participating in Purrs4Peace Week 45. This weeks Purrs4Peace has us purring to stop the bullies!
Bullying behavior by children and teens has recently been on the increase. The online statistics on bullying and cyber-bullying are diverse. But it appears that generally one-third of children are bullied in school, in their neighborhood or online. The results of bullying are profound. It is estimated that at least 160,000 children do not attend school on any particular day due to fear of attack of bullying. Consequences can be even more extreme. We have probably all heard of the tragic results of such behavior in the case of Phoebe Prince and her suicide after vicious and unrelenting bullying by fellow school girls and boys.
“Courage is fire, and bullying is smoke” – Benjamin Disraeli
What can we do?
- Stand up to bullies in our own lives.
- Teach our children to stand up to bullies.
- Insist that authorities deal effectively with bullies in school environments.
- Insist that authorities deal with cyber-bullying by all available prosecutions and that new laws to deal with new technological opportunities for bullying be addressed.
- Do not tolerate bullying of others when you witness or know about it.
* And……………..this week we will purr.
Please stop by and visit the Confucius Cat’s Blog, he is after all, our fearless leader on the Purrs 4 Peace project.
The appointed time for Week 44 is Sunday, April 25, 2010. Participants should purr for three minutes commencing at 3:00 p.m.. EDT (U.S.) which is 8:00 p.m. (20:00 hrs.) BST in the U.K. The cat’s human staff should assist their cats with the project by stroking and nuzzling the cat at the appointed time.