If you’re like me, there is no doubt that throughout the year you have seen at least one animal rescue story that brought a smile to your face. While there are not nearly enough happy endings, some of the more compelling rescues of the year have an opportunity to contribute back to the rescue organization that made it all possible.
I recently received a press release from Purina® about their Purina® Pro Plan® Rally to Rescue® Stories Contest. They will be celebrating some extraordinary pet rescue stories with a nationwide competition honoring the rescue pets and the organizations that helped give them a new life. Pet lovers can participate in the nationwide contest by voting on 10 finalist stories to help choose the winner, who will be featured in the official program at the 10th Annual National Dog Show, presented by Purina®.
The winning rescue organization, pet and owner will win a trip to Philadelphia and be honored live in the main ring prior to the start of the National Dog Show presented by Purina®, which airs on NBC on Thanksgiving Day. In addition, the winner will receive VIP treatment at the National Dog Show including a backstage tour, exclusive tickets and seating, and the opportunity to have a meet-and-greet with David Frei, expert analyst for the show and nationally renowned dog expert. The winning pet rescue organization also will be rewarded with $5,000 in Purina® Pro Plan® brand pet food coupons to help support their continued care for animals in need. Voting will take place through October 3rd on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/rallytorescue. The contest winner will be determined by a combination of a popular vote and judges’ scores.
Let me tell you what they have to say about the 10 finalists:
- Tucker, submitted by Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida, Inc. (Deerfield Beach, FL) – Named after the truck that once abandoned him, a black lab who showed his ongoing hope through a tail wag now lives with happiness in his forever home.
- BB King, submitted by Billerica Cat Care Coalition (North Billerica, MA) – A friendly black cat appeared at a feeding station in need of a meal and serious medical attention. In the end, he lost his tail, but found care and the forever home he always deserved.
- Alex, submitted by Sheltie Shack Rescue of Kansas, Inc. (Blue Rapids, KS) – Forced from a breeding facility to an animal shelter, a fearful Sheltie soon found hope in a few kind hearts who knew he was worthy of a second chance.
- Rudy, submitted by A New Leash on Life Rescue (North Olmsted, OH) – After being saved from a horrific hoarding situation, a rescued Shepherd mix learned to move on from his past and spread joy through the love of therapy work.
- Pepper, submitted by Sheryls Den Animal Rescue (West Milford, NJ) – One fateful snowy day, a selfless woman on her way home from rescuing 15 dogs in a shelter unexpectedly crossed paths with one more who couldn’t be left behind.
- Arrow, submitted by Azalea City Cat Coalition (Mobile, AL) – After spotting a desperate cat – sick, with an arrow hanging from his chest – a devoted team of volunteers worked diligently to give him the life he deserved.
- Julie, submitted by Adopt A Spot Dalmatian Rescue, Inc. (Chesapeake, VA) – When a sick Dalmatian underwent surgery to heal his condition, the outlook wasn’t good. But the strong, vibrant puppy continued to show the world he had more life than ever expected.
- Titan, submitted by Texas Husky Rescue, Inc. (Carrollton, TX) – When a puppy with a severe cleft palate was given little chance of survival, faith, perseverance and a public outpouring not only gave him a chance to thrive, but life in a forever home.
- Milly, submitted by Great Lakes Weimaraner Rescue, Inc. (Grand Haven, MI) – Found on a cold winter night with his eyes swollen shut and a severe skin condition, a brave Weimaraner goes through many caring hands on his continued path towards finding a forever home.
- Bodie, submitted by Almost Home Animal Rescue of Rutherford County (Murfreesboro, TN) – Originally said to be “unadoptable,” a frightened dog with multiple health conditions soon proved he was not only ready to live his life, but to be a continuous inspiration to those around him.
According to Robert Tochterman, Senior Brand Manager for Purina® Pro Plan®, “These extraordinary dogs and cats serve as inspiration to all of us about the sheer power and determination for survival among rescue pets. We’re proud to recognize these amazing animals and the dedicated rescue organizations that care for them.”
For those of us involved in animal rescue, we appreciate the opportunity for the heros to be recognized and we are thrilled that their extraordinary efforts came with the ultimate reward of a forever home for the animals. What can you do in your local community to Be the Change for Animals?
and conversely, mommy has wept many times for the precious innocent spirits who so depend on kindness.
What a wonderful thing. Thanks for keeping us up to date and sharing these happy endings.
OH wow. What beautiful stories of gorgeous brave and wonderful woofies and kitties!! Awwww! They and their rescuers and their forever families deserve these awards and more!!! Lovely, thanks for sharing adorable Brian, Sascha, Precious, Dolly, Gracie and Zoe! Take care
Those are some great stories. Going to be hard to figure out which one to vote for. They all sound really good and it is so nice to hear some happy stories. Thanks for letting us know about this event. It is so great.
All these stories are wonderful. We has our paws crossed that Lil Em and Sapphire will have a rescue story to tell very soon about how they found their forever home.
Brian – you do such wonderful work, and we are so very honored to know you. What an inspiration you are to kitties like me.
All those stories are winners, Brian! Thanks for sharing!
Excellent post and reminder Brian! I try to take stuff to our local animal shelter as often as I can. But I can always do more can’t I.
What wonderful stories! There are far too few happy endings, so it is especially wonderful to hear about these ones. Thanks for all you do.
Wonderful testimonials…….the kitty world needs gazillions more of these happy endings.
Those are all good rescue stories. It will be very hard to choose one over the other -but Pellie and I will try very hard, and then get our vote in.
Thank you for being so good about finding all this cool stuff out for all the rest of us. We really appreciate all your hard work.
Everyone.. be they human or animal has one request in their heart from others. “Give me a chance”
We are gonna go vote right away!! These are the people that inspire mom….those that say, yes, we can save one more. YEAH for the animal heroes – those listed here, those on the CB and those that go about their business every day with no applause but doing it because they are trying to help those that can’t help themselves.
Just discovered you and look forward to following! Great work happening out there!
Thank-you for this. We need more happy endings for cats and dogs. Will share.
Thank you for putting this up. The stories are wonderful!
Sorry I’ve not visited in a while. Im busy cleaning out my house. I’ve missed you guys. I hope to start back visiting all of my friends soon.
I love you and what all you do for homeless animals.
God Bless You
I wish there were more happy endings….
How wonderful. I see a Weimaraner rescue in there. 🙂
Oh noes! I don’t know how I can possibly pick one story to vote for. I know they will all make me cry even with happy endings. I’m just hardwired that way. But thank you for posting this.
So nice to hear things like this. Thanks for letting us know! 🙂
Woofs & hugs,
~Bailey (Yep, I’m a girl!)
Brian, we love you! You are such a hero, and keep us so inspired and encouraged. You, Sir, are a good cat.
What wonderful stories!! Thanks for the updates! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly
We are just so glad that there are such kind souls out there doing work for the innocent ones who need help and can’t ask.
We applaud all that they do.
Little friend Brian,
Thank you for your nice comment
You are a super friend
Lots and lots of purrrs from
Sweet and happy endings are so good… make me feeling so hopefully! Thanks for share!
What a great post!
Wonderful stories. You do so much good in the world, Brian. We are in awe of you and your People!
These stories are wonderful. It’s so good to celebrate the happy endings, we reckon that helps make more happy endings.
Thank you for your kind words and love for Whicky. He has left a big hole.
Gerry & Oliver
I’d like to talk with you privately but see no means to do so. Can you drop me a line?