If you’re like me, there is no doubt that throughout the year you have seen at least one animal rescue story that brought a smile to your face. While there are not nearly enough happy endings, some of the more compelling rescues of the year have an opportunity to contribute back to the rescue organization that made it all possible.
I recently received a press release from Purina® about their Purina® Pro Plan® Rally to Rescue® Stories Contest. They will be celebrating some extraordinary pet rescue stories with a nationwide competition honoring the rescue pets and the organizations that helped give them a new life. Pet lovers can participate in the nationwide contest by voting on 10 finalist stories to help choose the winner, who will be featured in the official program at the 10th Annual National Dog Show, presented by Purina®.
The winning rescue organization, pet and owner will win a trip to Philadelphia and be honored live in the main ring prior to the start of the National Dog Show presented by Purina®, which airs on NBC on Thanksgiving Day. In addition, the winner will receive VIP treatment at the National Dog Show including a backstage tour, exclusive tickets and seating, and the opportunity to have a meet-and-greet with David Frei, expert analyst for the show and nationally renowned dog expert. The winning pet rescue organization also will be rewarded with $5,000 in Purina® Pro Plan® brand pet food coupons to help support their continued care for animals in need. Voting will take place through October 3rd on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/rallytorescue. The contest winner will be determined by a combination of a popular vote and judges’ scores.
Let me tell you what they have to say about the 10 finalists:
- Tucker, submitted by Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida, Inc. (Deerfield Beach, FL) – Named after the truck that once abandoned him, a black lab who showed his ongoing hope through a tail wag now lives with happiness in his forever home.
- BB King, submitted by Billerica Cat Care Coalition (North Billerica, MA) – A friendly black cat appeared at a feeding station in need of a meal and serious medical attention. In the end, he lost his tail, but found care and the forever home he always deserved.
- Alex, submitted by Sheltie Shack Rescue of Kansas, Inc. (Blue Rapids, KS) – Forced from a breeding facility to an animal shelter, a fearful Sheltie soon found hope in a few kind hearts who knew he was worthy of a second chance.
- Rudy, submitted by A New Leash on Life Rescue (North Olmsted, OH) – After being saved from a horrific hoarding situation, a rescued Shepherd mix learned to move on from his past and spread joy through the love of therapy work.
- Pepper, submitted by Sheryls Den Animal Rescue (West Milford, NJ) – One fateful snowy day, a selfless woman on her way home from rescuing 15 dogs in a shelter unexpectedly crossed paths with one more who couldn’t be left behind.
- Arrow, submitted by Azalea City Cat Coalition (Mobile, AL) – After spotting a desperate cat – sick, with an arrow hanging from his chest – a devoted team of volunteers worked diligently to give him the life he deserved.
- Julie, submitted by Adopt A Spot Dalmatian Rescue, Inc. (Chesapeake, VA) – When a sick Dalmatian underwent surgery to heal his condition, the outlook wasn’t good. But the strong, vibrant puppy continued to show the world he had more life than ever expected.
- Titan, submitted by Texas Husky Rescue, Inc. (Carrollton, TX) – When a puppy with a severe cleft palate was given little chance of survival, faith, perseverance and a public outpouring not only gave him a chance to thrive, but life in a forever home.
- Milly, submitted by Great Lakes Weimaraner Rescue, Inc. (Grand Haven, MI) – Found on a cold winter night with his eyes swollen shut and a severe skin condition, a brave Weimaraner goes through many caring hands on his continued path towards finding a forever home.
- Bodie, submitted by Almost Home Animal Rescue of Rutherford County (Murfreesboro, TN) – Originally said to be “unadoptable,” a frightened dog with multiple health conditions soon proved he was not only ready to live his life, but to be a continuous inspiration to those around him.
According to Robert Tochterman, Senior Brand Manager for Purina® Pro Plan®, “These extraordinary dogs and cats serve as inspiration to all of us about the sheer power and determination for survival among rescue pets. We’re proud to recognize these amazing animals and the dedicated rescue organizations that care for them.”
For those of us involved in animal rescue, we appreciate the opportunity for the heros to be recognized and we are thrilled that their extraordinary efforts came with the ultimate reward of a forever home for the animals. What can you do in your local community to Be the Change for Animals?